Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Slam by Walter Dean Myers

"Slam" by Walter dean Myers is definately a good read in my opinion. I read this book approximately 3 times. Walter Dean Myers is really a good writer, I enjoyed this book so much I decided to look up other books that he wrote. This book is about an African American male that plays basketball named Greg Harris. He is the star athlete in his high school but he struggles to do well in school. He earns the name "Slam" due to his amazing performance on the court. I adore this book because I play basketball & it shows the struggle many teenage athletes go through with their grades. Many people don't understand that if you're good at a sport without an education you can get no where. This book shows that teenagers need motivation in order to suceed and do well in school. Using sports is a way of motivation for kids but having your parent show their interest and care in how well you're doing in school gives teenagers the boost to do better. Walter Dean Myers shows his point of view through a child's perspective and it gives the book a better feel. This book is addicting and once you start to read it, trust me, you will never want to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment